CHICAGO — The Coalition for Justice And Respect (CJR) will be hosting their sixth annual Salute to Community Warriors on Thursday, October 25th, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at Club Escape 1530 E 75th St, Chicago, IL 60619.
This year the proceeds from the event will go toward our 2 primary projects: Empowerment Center at the King Center and Black LGBTQ Family and Ally Pride Day.
CJR and Coalition for Justice and Respect Foundation (CJRF) is an African-American Same Gender Loving Black Gay and Lesbian Civil Rights and Social Justice organizations based in Chicago, Illinois. CJRF is a charitable organization that supports the work of empowerment and advocacy of African-American Same Gender Loving Black Gays and Lesbians.
The CJR – CJRF Community Warrior awards and recognition combat stigma and builds bridges of respect and appreciation of the work of these outstanding people and their work of social justice and civil liberties. We acknowledge self-identified accomplished African-American Same Gender Loving Black Gays and Lesbians and Allies that are Professionals, Advocates, Activists, Workers, Community Leaders, Grassroot Organizers, Commerce Leaders and Leaders in Civic Engagement.
This year in honor of our first Commerce Leader Award to Spenser Leak and Son Funeral Homes. The Leak funeral homes have been a fundamental cornerstone is respectful service delivery to LGBTQ people, families, and friends. Having loved ones being treated with respect and honor is greatly appreciated. Also, this year we will give our first Postmus Award to a loved role model the young Transwomen communities and young LGBTQ SGL Chicagoans De’ Janay Stanton.
The other honorees will include:
- Michelle Howard, Long time Public Health Worker.
- Lamont Robinson, First Black Openly Gay State Representative in the State of Illinois.
- Art Sims, Openly LGBTQ WVON Radio Host.
- Ben Montgomery, Lead Organizer of Illinois Red Ribbon Cash Lottery Ticket and Commission Member.
- Rodrick Hawkins, Assistant to Mayor City of Chicago
- Robert Harris, Cook County Judge 5th Sub-Circuit
- Miss Sheri Payne, Miss Heat of America Continental
- Bria Scudder, Sr. Government & Community Liaison Office of the Illinois Attorney General
- Shannon Lyn Parker, Public Health Worker
- Ramon Gardenhire, Vice President of Policy and Advocacy AIDS Foundation of Chicago
Our Guest Speaker will be Lori Lightfoot and our Ally Warrior will be Congressman Robin Kelly. You can see the Facebook event listing here.