CHICAGO — WBEZ reported this week that the Illinois Supreme Court will be ruling on whether or not to redo the sentence Jason Van Dyke was given in the killing of Laquan McDonald.
Supreme Court communications director Christopher Bonjean said between next Monday and Thursday the justices will “definitely” issue a short ruling on a petition last month from Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and special prosecutor Joseph McMahon that challenged Van Dyke’s sentence.
Bonjean said the decision will rule the petition “denied” or “allowed” and could include instructions for the petitioners, the defendant or Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan, who oversaw the trial.
In January, Van Dyke was sentenced to less than seven years for the killing of Laquan McDonald. Van Dyke was convicted of second-degree murder and 16 counts of of aggravated battery, one count for each shot, in Chicago on Oct. 8. Prosecutors wanted 96 years. During sentencing, Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan said he counted the counts of aggravated assault with a gun as a single charge.by