DES MOINES — One Iowa Action, a LGBTQ advocacy organization, has announced speakers for a June 2 rally for transgender people’s healthcare.
Earlier this month, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed HF 766 (the Health and Human Services budget bill) into law, banning the state’s Medicaid from paying for transgender people’s transition-related healthcare.
The rally, called Rally for Trans Health Justice, will be at the Iowa State Capitol. One Iowa Action is hosting the event along with the ACLU of Iowa, Interfaith Alliance of Iowa, and Transgender Action Group of Iowa.
The speakers will be:
- Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel (he, him, his), One Iowa Action executive director
- Aidan Zingler (they, them, theirs), Transgender Action Group of Iowa organizer
- Connie Ryan (she, her, hers), Interfaith Alliance of Iowa executive director
- Daniel Zeno (he, him, his), ACLU of Iowa policy director
- Alexandra Gray (she, her, hers), local transgender activist
- Caity Szalay (she, her, hers), licensed social worker and therapist specialized in working with LGBTQ individuals
- Rev. Alejandro Alfaro-Santiz (he, him, his), Trinity Las Americas United Methodist Church lead pastor
- Mika Covington (she, her, hers), transgender woman on Medicaid
- Keenan Crow (they, them, theirs), One Iowa Action director of policy and advocacy
“At this rally, we will come together as a community at the beginning of Pride month to show our state lawmakers that Iowans support the transgender community,” Hoffman-Zinnel said. “All Iowans, including transgender Iowans, deserve access to the medical care their doctors prescribe.”
The list is not final as of Wednesday. Speeches begin at 1 p.m.by