HIGHLAND, Ind. — Northwest Indiana, Indiana’s second largest metro area, will be having its first Pride celebration in Highland, Ind., this July.
The event is being organized by three relatively new organizations, PFLAG Crown Point, LGBTQ Northwest Indiana and NWI Pride Events. All the organizations were formed to fill a void in the area with many LGBTQ organizations being centered in nearby Chicago or north central Indiana.
Event activities planned include:
- Opening remarks
- NWI Pride souvenir sales
- Food & drink vendors
- Product & service vendors
- Alcohol vendors (21+ only)
- Music (DJ, bands, or recorded music)
- Children’s activities / entertainment
- LGBTQ wedding ceremonies & vow renewals – complete with stand-in parents!
- Poetry / story reading
- Drag shows (all-age comedy, all-age evening, adult After Party)
- Free health screenings
- Suicide awareness & prevention tips & resources
- NWI LGBTQ+ resources directory
- Lost children booth
- First aid booth
- Make your own buttons and magnets
- Adult After Party / Dancing
There are also sponsorship, donation, vendor and volunteer opportunities available.
The organizers said in a press release that they wanted to build a vibrant LGBTQ community in northwest Indiana.
“NWI Pride is an opportunity to create more visibility for this initiative, and to identify supportive businesses, individuals, and groups who can help in this effort,” the press release stated. “One of our goals is to eventually have a brick-and-mortar LGBTQ+ resource center and a strong support network. This festival, as a community-building event, should provide a big region boost!”
NWI Pride will be at the Highland Fieldhouse & Banquet Hall at 2450 Lincoln St. in Highland, Ind. The party goes from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 13.
For more information, go to http://www.nwi-pride.org/.by