Trump administration to cut funding for COVID-19 testing even as cases rise

Print More

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is cutting funding for COVID-19 testing sites in several states, media reports said on Wednesday.

Talking Points Memo reported that the government will stop providing money and support for 13 sites across five states which were set up speed up testing at the local level.

According to NBC Chicago, two of those sites are in Illinois.

“This is an incompetent move by the Trump administration,” said U.S. Rep. Bill Foster (D-Naperville) in a Facebook post. “Testing saves lives. President Trump’s effort to slow down coronavirus testing is a threat to Americans nationwide.”

According to NBC, the U.S. reached a record high of 36,358 new coronavirus cases. The TV network reported that it broke the previous record set by in April by 73 cases.

Illinois announced 745 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, which, while higher than recent days, is far down from the peak earlier in spring. There have now been cases in all but one Illinois county and the statewide percentage of tests showing positive is at 3%.

Comments

comments

Comments are closed.