Black Lives Matter Pop-Up event in Chandler Park on Thursday
MACOMB — The Racial Justice Coalition of Democratic Women in McDonough County is hosting a Black Lives Matter Pop-Up event in Chandler Park on Thursday.
The speaker lineup includes several Black Democratic women leaders, with several other Black community members speaking out.
The group can use donations of bottled water and masks for the event, and if anyone is free to help register voters, please let organizer Heather Marie McKeekan know.
all members of the community are invited to experience the narratives of the lived experiences from Black individuals in the community, participate in restorative action for racial justice, and support members of the community as they speak with concerns and hopes.
As COVID is especially risky and disproportionately dangerous for the Black community, masks and distancing are expected, and will be enforced. Please bring your own chair.
Noon-5:00 – Pop-up Immersive experience.
– Poetry walk
– Poster-making station
– Poster displays from Black community members past and present
– Card Shower for Mt. Calvary COGIC
– Diaper/Period Product/Formula/Kids Summer Clothing drive to benefit Mt. Calvary
– Water, mask, sanitizer stations
– #BlackAtWIU Tweets
Black Mental Health Support Info
Learn your elected reps
Complaint station for submitting to Illinois Attorney General
Housing and shelter info
5:00 – March & Rally Around the Square
6:00 – Program & Speak-Out
- Belinda Carr, Chair, Democratic Party of McDonough County IL; Director (ret.), Gwendolyn Brooks Multicultural Center
- Dr. Essie Rutledge, Sociologist, Faculty Emeritus, WIU Department of Sociology
- Tammie Leigh Brown-Edwards, Alderwoman-at-Large, Macomb City Council, and Chair, McDonough County Democratic Coalition