Advocate celebrate gender neutral marker on Illinois birth certificates


SPRINGFIELD — Tuesday was International Non-Binary People’s Day and also the day that a gender neutral marker became available in birth certificates in Illinois.

People who were born in Illinois can now correct their gender marker to designations of M, F, or X. Illinois is one of only a few states that provide for inclusive gender marker options on birth certificates. Other states are California, Colorado, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington. New York City also allows individuals to designate a gender neutral marker on their birth certificates.

“Equality Illinois is excited trans and gender non-binary people are able to correct their birth certificates to reflect their authentic selves,” said Myles Brady Davis, director of communications at Equality Illinois, in a press release. “We thank Gov. Pritzker, Dr. Ezike, and the Illinois Department of Public Health for their leadership. As national forces work to allow discrimination against trans and gender non-binary people, Illinois must keep moving forward. Allowing for inclusive designations on birth certificates is the right action to affirm the dignity of trans and gender non-binary Illinoisans.”

“This is an important and historic step toward recognizing and affirming the identities of transgender and non-binary individuals in Illinois,” said Avi Rudnick, Co-Coordinator of the Name Change Mobilization and member of the Transformative Justice Law Project’s Board of Stewards. “It’s important to note that an ‘X’ on a birth record is only the beginning, and that TJLP looks forward to a continued expansion of gender identities recognized by the State. It was only a few years ago that we were telling people that the only way to get a gender marker change on an Illinois birth certificate was to undergo extensive gender affirming procedures. We are hopeful and excited to witness the ongoing evolution and support of gender self-determination for residents of the State of Illinois and beyond!”

To correct the gender marker on an Illinois birth certificate, an individual must submit to the Department two completed forms – the “Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request” and the “Declaration of Gender Transition/Intersex Condition” – and the $15.00 fee. The “Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request” must be completed by the individual and be notarized. The “Declaration of Gender Transition/Intersex Condition” must be completed by a licensed health care professional or licensed mental health professional.

For individuals who are correcting their designation to the gender neutral option, they and their provider should mark “X” as the sex designation for the corrected birth certificate. Individuals can access the relevant forms online at dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/birth-death-other-records/birth-records/gender-reassignment.



This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy