CHICAGO — Equality Illinois, the statewide LGBTQ rights organization, has announced endorsements for LGBTQ candidates in this year’s general election.
The organization said they had endorsed a record number of LGBTQ candidates this year. The vast majority are in Chicago and its suburbs.
The candidates endorsed for the Illinois House are:
- State Rep. Lamont Robinson (House District 5 – Chicago)
- Illinois House Majority Leader Greg Harris (House District 13 – Chicago)
- State Rep. Kelly Cassidy (House District 14 – Chicago)
- Michelle Darbro (House District 20 – Chicago)
- Ken Mejia-Beal (House District 42 – Lisle)
- Maggie Trevor (House District 54 – Rolling Meadows)
- State Rep. Sam Yingling (House District 62 – Grayslake)
- Brian Sager (House District 63 – Woodstock)
- Karla Bailey-Smith (House District 88 – Bloomington)
- Seth Wiggins (House District 90 – Dixon)
- Kody Czerwonka (House District 110 – Montrose)
Equality Illinois also endorsed two out candidates for the McLean County Board in central Illinois.
- Val Laymon (District 7 – Bloomington)
- Jackie Gunderson (District 9 – Bloomington)
They will announce other endorsements in the coming days.
“We are excited to endorse eleven out LGBTQ candidates for the Illinois House of Representatives and two out LGBTQ candidates for local offices,” said Equality Illinois Bard Chair Justin DeJong. “As an organization that believes strongly in LGBTQ representation in roles of civic leadership, we are excited to see so many openly LGBTQ people from across Illinois pursuing public service. Representation at tables of power matters when it comes to passing inclusive policies and for changing hearts and minds by sharing our stories.”