The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has released a new PrEP counseling guide for the staff of clinics in the state.
The guide outlines how to introduce STD clinic clients to talking about PrEP and covering the basic facts of the treatment.
The facts included in the guide are:
- PrEP is a once-a-day pill that can protect you from getting HIV
- It is nearly 100% effective at reducing your chances of getting infected with HIV from sex, even without using condoms. It’s a little less effective in preventing HIV from sharing equipment to inject drugs or hormones. Condoms are still reccomended.
- PrEP is for HIV-negative cismen, ciswomen, transmen, transwomen, and non-binary folks.
- You can start, stop, and restart taking PrEP at anytime — but it only provides protection when taken as directed.
- If payment or insurance is a problem, PrEP is free through IDPH and other payment programs.
The full guide is available here.