Equality Illinois accepting applications for 2021-2022 Community Advisory Board
Equality Illinois, the largest LGBTQ organization in Illinois, is accepting applications for their 2021-2022 Community Advisory Board.
The deadline to apply is Aug. 6, 2021. People of color, women, and trans and nonbinary people are strongly encouraged to apply.
According to the Equality Illinois website, the objectives for the board are to:
- Engage grassroots LGBTQ individuals and allies in the policy work and agenda building to advance LGBTQ equality and social justice in Illinois
- Ensure the LGBTQ policy agenda is crafted with input from an inclusive coalition of stakeholders from across Illinois
- Offer professional development and leadership training for grassroots LGBTQ individuals
- Identify individuals who can be surrogates or advocates to public officials, local media, and other organizations on LGBTQ issues
The responsibilities of board members include:
- Participate in monthly calls to inform and give feedback on EI’s policy agenda
- Participate in reactive calls, as necessary, to respond to situations facing LGBTQ Illinoisans
- Act as a surrogate to public officials, other organizations, and local media (when authorized by EI staff)
- Attend and participate at LGBTQ Advocacy Day at the State Capitol (spring 2022, specific date TBD) and/or host an LGBTQ policy-oriented house party (with an EI staff person as the keynote presenter) that is attended by at least 10 other people who are not EI staff or other members of the Community Advisory Group. House parties should be scheduled and organized with EI staff in order to ensure participation by an EI staff person.