Illinois State Fair to require masks, COVID testing
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Illinois Department of Agriculture (IDOA) on Friday announced mitigations to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant during the upcoming Illinois State Fair.
The IDPH said the state fairgrounds are located in Sangamon County which is currently experiencing high transmission rates.
Everyone attending the fair will be required to wear masks, no matter the vaccination status, at all indoor venues and the Grandstand.
Additional mitigations for the 2021 Illinois State Fair include:
- Masks are encouraged for participants and attendees of the Twilight Parade.
- Illinois Department of Public Health will have six vaccinations sites located throughout the fairgrounds
- Carnival workers, vendors and concessionaires are required to wear masks and are responsible for assisting in the cleaning of adjacent sitting and picnic table areas.
- Carnival will use fogger machines with a 72-hour disinfectant on all rides.
- Fogger machines will be used to clean the Grandstand, Coliseum and Multi-Purpose Arena between each event.
- No tram service will be offered.
- Dedicated crews to clean high touch areas, including restrooms, barns and common eating areas.
- Hand-washing stations and mounted and portable hand sanitizers throughout the grounds.
Masks will be provided at locations across the fair.
“As the Delta variant circulates in Illinois and across the country, we want to remind people about what they can do to stay safe,” said IDPH Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike in a statement. “Vaccination is your best protection against COVID-19 and its variants. Masking, distancing, testing, and washing your hands are also important tools to help slow the spread of these viruses.”
“The safety of our attendees has and will always be our first priority at the Illinois State Fair,” said Jerry Costello II, IDOA Director. “We will continue to offer a world-class entertainment and agricultural showcase while prioritizing the health and safety of attendees.”
The Illinois State Fair is Aug. 12 – 22 in Springfield.