Trans* Week of Awareness set at WIU
The LGBT*QA Resource Center at Western Illinois University (WIU) has scheduled a full week of activities for Trans* Week of Awareness, Nov. 15-19.
The schedule of events for this week include:
• Monday, Nov. 15, 7 p.m., Multicultural Multipurpose Room – Trans* Day of Support
– There will be a mobile Qloset clothing swap
– The Qloset which is located inside the LGBT*QA Resource Center on the second floor of the MCC will be moved to the Multipurpose room for this event
– Binder fittings
– Binder explanation
– Crafts and more
• Tuesday, Nov. 16, noon-2 p.m., LGBT*QA Resource Center, second floor of the Multicultural Center – What’s the T*?
– A discussion on trans* identities
– Snacks will be provided
• Friday, Nov. 19, 7 p.m. in the multipurpose room of the Multicultural Center – Trans* Day of Remembrance
– A candlelight vigil will be held to honor the lives lost to anti-trans* violence
The Nov. 15-19 events have been organized by LGBT*QA Resource Center Graduate Assistants Sarah Daniels and Mike Tunde.
“Trans* Awareness Week is annually observed by the LGBT*QA Resource Center, and nationally in the month of November leading up to Trans* Day of Remembrance,” said Tunde. “The candlelight vigil remembers trans* individuals who have been murdered in 2021, and serves as an awareness raising memorial to the disproportionate level of violence against Trans people. During the event, the names of each trans* person killed this year will be read aloud and a candle lit for the memory of each as a symbol of lighting their way in the dark.”
COVID guidelines are in effect at all of the events.
For more information call the LGBT*QA Resource Center at (309) 298-4004 or email [email protected].