Illinois Prairie Community Foundation (IPCF) is honoring a Bloomington woman’s final wishes by distributing more than $219,000 to 21 nonprofit organizations, most of them local.
Doris Henderson of Bloomington, who had a lifelong interest in women’s sports, wildlife and her dogs, wished to make gifts to organizations focused on those issues upon her death. So, she established a Donor Advised Fund with IPCF in 2014 to ensure her wishes were honored.
In her youth, Henderson was an athlete winning championships in tennis and badminton. After receiving a master’s degree in physical education and education from Northwestern University, she did post-graduate studies at Illinois State University. She later joined the staff of the ISU women’s physical education staff, retiring in 1990.
When she passed away in December 2021 at age 90, her estate worked with IPCF to fulfill her final wishes. Through her Donor Advised Fund, Henderson gifted $219,152.89 to 21 nonprofit organizations most of which are located in Central Illinois.
“Donor Advised Funds allow donors to have involvement in the use of charitable funds,” said Greg Meyer, executive director of IPCF. “In cases like Doris Henderson’s, the IPCF works with a donor’s financial and legal advisors to ensure that their final wishes are fulfilled upon their death. We are honored that Doris entrusted us with that job and have been thrilled to make these gifts to the deserving nonprofit organizations.”
Organizations receiving donations from Doris Henderson’s fund are:
- Illinois State University Foundation – Doris E. Henderson Endowed Scholarship and Women’s Athletics (women’s volleyball, basketball and softball programs)
- McLean County Humane Society
- University of Illinois, College of Health Sciences – Phyllis J. Hill Award and Beulah Drom Scholarship
- Northwestern University – School of Education and Social Policy and Women’s Athletics
- Home Sweet Home Ministries
- Salvation Army in Bloomington
- John Wesley Powell Audubon Society
- Parklands Foundation
- Sugar Grove Nature Center
- Friends of Carlock Library
- Habitat for Humanity McLean County – Women Build program
- McLean County Historical Society
- Mid Central Community Action
- Wesley United Methodist Church
- Miller Park Zoological Society
- Heifer Internationale
- Center for Hope Food Pantry
- Sterile Feral Foundation
- Midwest Food Bank
- Wish Bone Canine Rescue
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind
Illinois Prairie Community Foundation, now in its 24th year, encourages and facilitates philanthropy in McLean, DeWitt, Livingston and Logan counties by connecting donors who care with causes that matter to them. More information is available at www.ilprairiecf.org.